02 April 2013

With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent

With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent
Soul Screamers #7
Release Date: April 5, 2013 (UK)
Publisher: Mira Ink (UK)
Source: Bought (US)
Goodreads Stars: 4
Rating: Essential

Buy the Book: Amazon UK

After spending the last year undead, Kaylee Cavanaugh has had enough of the paranormal creatures who have plagued her ever since she came into her banshee powers. Now she's ready to take her school back from the evil hellions, once and forever.

To protect her friends, Kaylee will need to find a way to turn the living incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity against one another.

Yet when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realises she can't save everyone she loves without making some powerful sacrifices...

I can't believe this series is over! I still remember the moment I decided to pick it up. I had been a fan of Vincent's first series - Shifters - and shortly after I started book blogging, I discovered that she had a YA series coming out in the UK. I just HAD to read it. And now, two years later, I've been recommending this series to everybody I come into contact with. I didn't want it to be over *sobs*

As always, this review isn't really going to be a review. It's a ramble. A stream of thoughts. I proved to myself that I can't review this series seriously before, and so I'm not going to even try this time.

KAYLEE IS SUCH A BADASS I LOVE HER SO MUCH. She's definitely one of my favourite YA heroines. She sacrifices so much for the people that she loves, and that doesn't stop in this book.

I also adore Tod, but I felt like he was a bit different - tonally - in this one. Which makes sense, since Avari has put these guys through so much, but... I don't know, he had less witty lines in this one, and more depressing stuff. And by depressing, I mean sad sad sad.

Did you know that I've been comparing Kaylee and Tod to Veronica and Logan? Well, I have. And Nash is totally Duncan. Veronica Mars has invaded my reading world.

There was one plot point that was introduced in the beginning but didn't actually go anywhere, and to me that seemed a bit pointless. Just... Why? I was looking forward to seeing more of it and then it was all suddenly dropped because Kaylee's dad was kidnapped. Which makes sense, I guess, but dropping plot points makes me sad.

The ending made me cry. A lot. Kaylee was so clever, and she didn't rely on anyone else to get shit done. I'm really impressed by the way she resolved the Avari issue. I was a bit worried because you go into the climax not knowing anything about what Kaylee was doing, but it turned out that her plan was brilliant.

And there was no epilogue! PRAISE THE LAWD! I really hate epilogues, especially when things can be resolved or wrapped up in normal chapters at the end of the book. What is the point of epilogues other than to piss me off, most of the time? I just don't know. But anyway, ending of With All My Soul had me sobbing in a Google Hangout to Tatum, and then the final chapter made it even worse. Vincent proved that you don't need to go with epilogues to wrap things up or give an insight into the future! Of course, that wouldn't work with every book, but whatever. DOWN WITH EPILOGUES.

Is anyone else hoping for a spin off series set in the same world? With (highlight to see the spoiler): Traci's son?! I think it would be really interesting to get a story from his point of view, and there could even be some guest appearances and it would be fabulous. If not I might have to start writing fan fiction.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how one of my favourite series ended. I cried, I laughed, and now I'm going to sit here and plot out my fan fiction, because I have some excellent ideas.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to read the 6th book soon. :D I can't wait to read this one, but there are so many series ending this year that I am going to be a mess. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right?! This seems to be the year for wrapping up series. I'm very sad about it! Thanks :D

      Delete
  2. Bought this yesterday. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!