05 January 2013

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi


Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
Under the Never Sky #2
Release Date: January 8, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Goodreads Stars: 4
Rating: Essential

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable. - Goodreads

I'm assuming that since you're reading this you are a fan of the first book, Under the Never Sky. Or you've at least read it. The first book is awesome, right? I loved it.


Perry and Aria are still together in this one, and there was no silly break up. Veronica Rossi knows how to add drama to a relationship without having the couple fight over something silly, or the guy having to stay away for the girl's own good. That's a cliché that is so far overdone in YA, and I'm glad that Rossi didn't go down that route.

That said, they did spend a lot of time apart. They each had their own independent storylines, which I adored. Since this book, like the first, is told from alternating points of view, we got to see so much more unfold than we would have if it was told from a single perspective. Aria did her own thing to save the day, and Perry did his.

Aria and Roar's friendship was THE BEST. You could feel their chemistry (platonic or otherwise *whistles*) come through the page. I loved that they became such close friends and looked out for each other. Aside from the fact that they're clearly just meant to be close friends *hearts* I couldn't help but ship them together in a romantic way. It feels like I'm betraying Perry when I say that, but I'm a multi-shipper and I can root for both couples! I just felt that Roar and Aria had such a great bond, and I would love to see it explored. As long as it didn't result in a stupid love triangle, which it would undoubtedly would.

Rossi does a great job with creating well rounded characters. There are some that do things that should make you hate them, but then you learn the reasons behind their actions and you come to an understanding. I think, that along with her writing style, characters are Rossi's strongest suit.

This was an excellent sequel that had none of that awful Second Book Syndrome. It didn't feel like a filler, and the story kept going at a fast pace. I cannot wait for the third and final book in the trilogy, because I NEED to know what happens with the Still Blue, with Cinder, with Perry, with Aria... and I'm hoping for a bit more Roar/Aria? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I loved UtNS so I can´t wait to read this one. The wait has been so hard that I´m like, I NEED IT NOW! I really like Roar, but I´m glad that what he and Aria have is a good friendship. I don´t want a love triangle! I´m glad you enjoyed it and that it doesn´t have the awful Second Book Syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeep I really need to get to this book asap, I just finished Under the Never Sky last night and I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up. So glad you loved this and another brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED THIS. I'm glad there's no second book syndrome and I'm very excited to see more Roar! I'm glad you loved it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love all of his pants off of Roar, I NEED ARIA AND PERRY to stay TOGETHER. And only TOGETHER. I need, for once, a lack of a love triangle. And I would love, AGAIN FOR ONCE, to see a totally platonic relationship between two really attractive opposite sex people. IS THAT SO DAMN HARD TO DO? Although, I'm saying all this now, but watch when I read this I'll end up like you... I can already see it... *scrubs face*

    Also, WHY? Why would you DO this to me? So soon, before I have the chance to own and read this book?!? *cries*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!