12 July 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu



Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
Release Date: August 7 2012
Publisher: St Martin's Press
Rating: Essential



In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse. - Goodreads

This was aweeesomeeee *sings*

Glitch is a brilliant asset to the YA science fiction genre, and I bet a lot of you sci-fi fans out there will adore it. Glitch combines science fiction with some dystopian AND some typical fantasy elements - fully explained by science, of course -  and mixes them up in this fantastic story.

Zoe, the main character, was a badass. She goes through a hell of a lot throughout this novel, and at the end she manages to stay standing. Well, figuratively. Her powers and her character grow as she discovers more about the world she lives in, and it was a lot of fun to read about her struggles (I know, I'm evil) as well as her growth.

I think that, at first, the romance between Zoe and Adrien progressed a tiny bit too quickly. Then, for various reasons, the breaks were put on and I started to really enjoy their build up. There was an unexpected love triangle (I'm not sure why I didn't see it coming, because HELLO, look at the summary!) and I wasn't a fan of Max. That said, I do think that this love triangle was necessary for the story's progression as well as for Zoe's character growth. It didn't seem like it was just thrown in there for the sake of the current YA trend.

I absolutely ADORE books about people with powers or abilities. Don't you? In this world, some teenagers start to glitch if they begin to develop these abilities, and I thought it was a pretty awesome concept! We see several different types of abilities, and I hope to see a lot more in the future because this was one of my favourite elements of the story!

The world building in this was also great. You can tell that the author spent vast amounts of time on it, and she has thought this through to create a fantastic sci-fi setting.

If you're a fan of science fiction, then I think this book is a must read. It's captivating, fun and - at times - hilarious! There were several laugh out loud moments, a few of which I shared on Twitter and the people who replied thought it was awesome.


Glitch trilogy:
1. Glitch
2. Override

Also, have you seen the cover for the second book in the trilogy?!

It's not as pretty as the first, but it's a lot darker... A sign of things to come? 




4 comments:

  1. I thought Glitch was great too! :D I didn't see the cover of the second book though, it is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I really don't like the cover of the second book :( the first one was SO PRETTY!. and Love your review. I personally didn't like Max or even the whole love triangle, maybe if they brought a better, say, competition to Adrien? I agree about the romance speeding up, I just hoped they spent more time up at the beginning for it not to feel fast. but damn this book was a whirlwind!

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sci-Fi, and I'm really looking forward to reading this. It sounds so good! Thanks so much for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review Amber! :) Mine: http://wwwthebookshelves.blogspot.com/2012/08/breathtaking-and-free-of-pain-gltich.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!