24 April 2012

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson



The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson
Jenna Fox Chronicles #1
Release Date: April 29, 2008
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Rating: Enjoyable


Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

This fascinating novel represents a stunning new direction for acclaimed author Mary Pearson. Set in a near future America, it takes readers on an unforgettable journey through questions of bio-medical ethics and the nature of humanity. Mary Pearson's vividly drawn characters and masterful writing soar to a new level of sophistication.  - Goodreads

The plot of Jenna Fox was pretty predictable. I think I worked out what was happening in the first few chapters, however I still really enjoyed the book. There was some science-y stuff, but it wasn't complicated and didn't confuse me at all.

The plot raises a lot of questions on humanity and morals, which I really enjoyed. It had me asking myself certain questions, and I liked being able to do that.

I liked Jenna, the main character, and I also really liked her grandmother. The two didn't start out on the best note, but I loved reading about their relationship because it was the most complex one in the entire book.

I thought that the secondary characters were less developed than I had hoped they would be when we were introduced to them. I was looking forward to getting to know several characters more, but we didn't really get the chance to and that was disappointing.

There was an epilogue to this book that I didn't mind at all, however it was really strange to read after having spent so much time somewhere else previously. I doubt I will be reading the sequel, because I feel that this plot wrapped up nicely and the sequel isn't really needed to get the full enjoyment out of it.

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!