27 March 2012

The Avalon Chronicles: Once in a Blue Moon



Once in a Blue Moon by Nanzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir
Avalon Chronicles Volume 1
Release Date: March 21, 2012
Publisher: Oni Press
Source: NetGalley
Rating: Essential


When Aeslin Finn was a little girl, her parents read to her from a magical book called The Avalon Chronicles. But that was a long time ago. Now a teenager, Aeslin is about to discover just how magical she and that book really are. Transported to the world of Avalon, she discovers a kingdom in need of a Dragon Knight - and the last dragon, Blue Moon, is waiting for her.- Goodreads

I went into this not knowing much about the background of the story, and I'm pleased to say that I totally didn't need to know anything before reading this.

I haven't read many graphic novels, but this one is definitely one I'll come back to again and again. This is only the first volume, and I'm really looking forward to the next book.

The story itself is action packed from the start, and the drawings make it easy to depict what is happening. The illustrations are beautiful, and added a lot to the story itself. I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get to read this in full colour, as I received it as an ARC, because I think it would have made the experience even better.

The world building is FANTASTIC, the illustrator and writers include the rich history of the world that Aeslin gets transported to really well and efficiently, and I was sucked in from the beginning.

I would definitely recommend picking this one up if you enjoy reading graphic novels or comics. I was really impressed with everything about it, and would recommend it to everyone. I'm dying to read the next book in the series, because I need to see more of this world!


1 comment:

  1. it sound interesting ,,, I like to read manga so Graphic novels are not that different i guess :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!