08 August 2011

Book Review: It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han
May 5, 2011 (UK)
Publisher: Puffin
Rating: 4 out of 5
Recommended? Yes!
Buy the Book: Amazon USAmazon UK

Last year, all of Belly’s dreams came true and the thought of missing a summer in Cousins Beach was inconceivable. But like the rise and fall of the ocean tide, things can change-- just like that. Suddenly the time she's always looked forward to most is something she dreads. And when Jeremiah calls to say Conrad has disappeared, Belly must decide how she will spend this summer: chasing after the boy she loves, or finally letting him go. - Goodreads Page
I really enjoyed The Summer I Turned Pretty, the first book in this trilogy, and so when this book arrived in the post I was so annoyed that I had to save it for my holiday. It’s been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of months, staring at me and teasing me. But I was finally able to read it while I was sitting by the pool in Crete this July, and I’m so glad I waited.


There are a few differences between this book and the first. The main one is that this book is told from two points of view this time – Belly’s and Jeremiah’s. It’s pretty obvious what is going to happen from early on in the book, but I won’t spoil you. You must read this for yourself!

Belly, on the other hand, hasn’t changed much at all. Her main concern was Conrad, as usual, and it annoyed me. SO much. She had much bigger problems than chasing after him, but I guess that’s just Belly for you.

Conrad was also being annoying in this book. No, actually, not annoying, just frustrating. I hate it when people can’t share their feelings and instead they shut off.

That said, they were all going through a lot, so I can’t really blame them. I can’t blame Conrad, anyway.

I absolutely LOVED Jeremiah in this book. He was adorable in the first, and in this one he’s stepped up and matured and... Wow. I love him. And I really enjoyed reading things from his perspective, for example when he talks about how his dad has always favoured Conrad and left him out. I felt so sorry for him, I just wanted to hug him.

This book also marks the beginning of a love triangle. Gah. We’ll have to see where it goes, although I’m pretty sure I know. But it’s okay, because I like what happened at the end. I like it a lot.

It’s Not Summer Without You wasn’t as good a read as the first book in the trilogy, but I think that’s because it doesn’t have such a summery feel to it. The first one was perfect for the beach, whereas this one could have been enjoyed just as much in the hotel room. Plus, look at the title. It’s not supposed to be as summery.

I really did enjoy it, though, and if you haven’t picked up this trilogy yet then I highly recommend doing so. Especially if you’re going on holiday this summer! 

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!